Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
D.N.I.S. News Network – The 10th year of the Disability Act – It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year’s World Disability Day on 3 December to evoke introspection and awareness among members of disability sector and public at large about non-implementation of The Disability Act, 1995.
With each step forward, disability sector appears to be falling back two steps. The most recent setback being that of the appointment of a non-disabled individual to the post of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disability (C.C.P.D.), and an unrepresentative process of framing the National Policy.
By focusing on a decade of The Disability Act, the sector wants to spark a debate or rather a quest for answers to these set back and continuing apathy towards the rights of the disabled people.
It is aiming to raise basic questions like, why is disabled friendly construction still an exception and not a norm? Why are disabled people continuing to be denied admission in regular schools and colleges? Why is that disabled people are finding it impossible to get a suitable job?
The sector feels that several issues which could have been addressed in the past 10 years but have remained neglected - the issue of incentives to the private sector; revising the job list; creating access in public transportation / places, amendment of The Disability Act; appointment of full time Disability Commissioners in all the States – the list is endless.
World Disability Day is an important day for the sector. It is the day when disability is placed at the centre stage.
The National Disability Network (N.D.N.), a network comprising of disability groups and NGOs across all States & Union Territories of the country, which has been celebrating the World Disability Day with a common theme since 1999, has decided that “The 10th year of the Disability Act – It’s time for ACT10N’ will be the common theme this year. The Network has created a logo for the above theme and is also putting together a document of ‘10 Demands’, which would be presented to the Central Government, for immediate action.
N.D.N. Partners from across the country have decided to make a huge national impact, by coming in large numbers to New Delhi to participate in the Rally from India Gate to Rashtrapati Bhawan on 3 December to make their presence felt.
N.D.N. Partners will also organise the State level activities for the World Disability Day, which would include setting up Solidarity Booths in several places in the State Capitals and Districts; presentation of '10 Demands' vis-à-vis rights of disabled people to the State Government and organise the symbolic,’Walk to Freedom’.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: