Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
D.N.I.S. News Network – India’s national and regional media need sensitisation on issues related to disability rights to allow a greater synergy between the civil society and journalists for increasing awareness about these issues.
A Workshop was held recently at Indian Institute of Mass Communication in Dhenkanal, Orissa, to expose tomorrow’s media persons to the importance of the issue of access for people with disabilities.
Title “Reporting: Issues of Access”, the Workshop was organised by Swabhiman, a National Disability Network Partner. Bibhu Dutta Mohapatra, a faculty member with the Institute, delivered the welcome address. Dr. Sruti Mohapatra, Secretary General of Swabhiman, then addressed the students.
In her speech, Dr. Mohapatra spoke on disability issues and its history, apart from highlighting the role of Swabhiman. This was followed by presentation of Access Audit.
During the question and answer session of the Workshop, journalism students sought clarifications for their doubts, raised queries like; What is Access, What was Swabhiman doing for the access for people with disability? How many institutions have access for disabled people s? How people with disabilities can work?
A simulation exercise was also held for the students who came up with news items based on the new insights they received during the day.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: