Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
D.N.I.S. News Network - A powerful 7.6 magnitude earthquake struck Pakistan and the northern part of India on 8 October 2005 destroying villages and killing thousands of people on both sides of the border. It is estimated that about 40,000 people have been killed and thousands more injured.
In India damage was extensive in Kashmir with about 1,300 people having died and about 5,000 people injured with the numbers steadily rising by the day. The worst affected are Uri and Tangdhar in Baramulla District.
The loss of homes and property in Kashmir has been massive. The situation in Uri and Tangdhar has worsened due to a dip in temperatures. The immediate need of relief is food, water, tents, blankets and medical aid. Though relief work has started officials and other agencies are yet to assess the extent of damage caused due to the disaster, especially from the disability point of view.
Disabled Peoples' International, India has decided to send a fact finding team to assess the relief and rescue operations from the lens of disability issue. The team will include Parvinder Singh, Senior Project Coordinator, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), and Javed Ahmad Tak, National Disability Network (N.D.N.) partner in Jammu & Kashmir. They will visit the earthquake affected areas and hospitals to get first hand information about the relief work and the help needed. The study will be specific to disability.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: