Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
D.N.I.S. News Network – Stakeholders active in the disability sector and organisations dealing with other developmental initiatives came together at a meeting in Hyderabad to share ideas and forge new grounds to give disability a developmental perspective.
“The goal of the disability movement has always been to be completely integrated and included into the mainstream of society. It is our belief that the benefits of networking between NGOs, which are focusing solely on disability, and the ones that are not directly involved in disability, will in the long run be the key to creating an inclusive society,” said Arun Rao, Executive Director, Deaf Way.
He said this at a meeting held on 8 October, Convergence India, which he had organised in association with Network of People with Disabilities Organisation (N.P.D.O.), National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and the Human Rights Law Network (H.R.L.N.), Andhra Pradesh Unit.
Rama Chari, Senior Programme Officer, N.C.P.E.D.P., congratulating the organisers for bringing together an excellent mix of participants, representing different disabilities, social sector organisations, scientists, academicians and officials from different Government departments, emphasised on the need for proactive involvement of the like minded people to ensure that disability becomes part of every development effort.
The Chief Guest of the Inaugural Session, D. Srinivas, Minister of Rural Development said that the Andhra Pradesh Government has taken convergence as the motto in order to avoid duplication of efforts.
Amita Dhanda, an expert in Disability & Law, lamented that “even though there is now a lot of talk about rights approach but our action continues to be charity oriented. There has to be greater convergence between what we are saying and doing”. Pointing out the difference between human rights & welfare approach, she said, “ There is a humanity angle in welfare approach also. However, it is the humanity of the giver and the not the recipient that is at the focus”. She said that disability law only provides for Socio Economic Rights. However, disabled citizens should also demand right to life, liberty, non-discrimination, etc. which are the civil political rights of every citizen.
N.P.D.O. has been has been quite effective in networking with other human rights, social and political movements. The spreading disability movement in Andhra was quite visible by the turn out of people at the Meeting, even though it was organised during the festival time.
The other dignitaries present at the Meeting were Ramanachari, Commissioner Information and Public Relations and Sundar Vadan, Commissioner Disabilities. The recommendations emerged from the Meeting to carry forward the agenda of Convergence will be submitted to the Government.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: