Volume 3 Issue 23 - December 01, 2005
Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
D.N.I.S. News Network- With very few public venues in the National Capital being disabled-friendly, news of Delhi Zoo being made accessible has come as a pleasant surprise to disabled visitors who had to either avoid the place or brave humiliating hardships to see displays in the zoo.
According to Delhi Zoo Director D.N. Singh, administration at the zoo has started providing free wheelchairs at the entry to anyone who asks for one.
“The toilets inside the zoo are being upgraded, too, based on the design implemented at Pragati Maidan, so that there is a separate stall for them as well,” he was quoted as saying in the media.
"The complex is fully accessible to people on wheelchairs, as there are no stairs here. There are ramps even at the entry and the exit. The zoo now has three wheelchairs and more will be purchased depending on the demand," said the director. "A number of water points and food stalls will also be set up near enclosures where large groups of people converge," he added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- Sacking an employee on grounds of schizophrenia violates Disability Act: Bombay H.C.
- Parivaar accuses National Trust of going soft on corruption allegation; Aloka Guha denies charge
- National Convention held on National Policy on Inclusive Education
- Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
- Government institutions should respect the Disability Act: President
- Disability perspective missing in ActionAid’s critique of Millennium Development Goals
- Guwahati H. C. directs Nagaland to extend reservation for disabled to include higher posts
- Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
- Disability cultural festival scheduled to mark World Disability Day has no sponsor!
- Technical snag grips low-floor disabled-friendly buses
- Europe’s leading low fares airline announces policy change on vision impaired passengers
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
- Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
- Chennai to host conference on Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: