Volume 3 Issue 23 - December 01, 2005
Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
D.N.I.S. News Network - As the countdown for the World Disability Day nears, the spirit of assertion of political and human rights by disability sector is apparent, but the strengthening unity of the sector is particularly palpable
Apart from organising their own activities in State Capitals and Districts, National Disability Network Partners are sending representatives to Delhi to participate in the World Disability Day activities that are being organised by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.).
N.C.P.E.D.P., with the associate disability organisations, will be organising a one-hour cultural event followed by Walk to Freedom from India Gate to Rashtrapati Bhawan. N.C.P.E.D.P. had also organised a meeting of key disability N.G.O.s in Delhi at AADI on 11 November 2005, to exchange information about the activities planned by various organisations in Delhi.
AAMAD and disability theatre.com - a production house and Internet site promoting integrated art and culture for people with disabilities, is organising World Disability Week - to be observed between December 1 and 7 - called "Possible". This cultural festival will showcase the work of people with disabilities that would include plays, movies and a painting exhibition.
Disability organisations in Himachal Pradesh, Goa, Meghalaya and Tamil Nadu and other states across India are submitting a 10-point demand to the Government so as to force the Government to accelerate the process of implementation of Disability Act, 1995. Action for Abilities Development and Inclusion, New Delhi, in association with F.I.C.C.I., is organising a one and half day Career Development Forum Programme on 3 and 4 December. ActionAid India, in association with National Human Rights Commission, is organising a daylong National Convention titled “ Towards a New Paradigm: De-custodial Mental Health Care Services in India for People with Psychiatric Disability”.
The U.N. theme for this year's International Day of Disabled Persons is a call for the inclusion of people with disabilities in development strategies. In declaring this theme, the U.N. acknowledges that in order to achieve development goals, it is important to consider how citizens with disabilities can be more fully integrated into society. In India also, 3 December has come to symbolise a day to celebrate and plan strategies for the future that would ensure an equitable, just and inclusive society.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Sacking an employee on grounds of schizophrenia violates Disability Act: Bombay H.C.
- Parivaar accuses National Trust of going soft on corruption allegation; Aloka Guha denies charge
- National Convention held on National Policy on Inclusive Education
- Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
- Government institutions should respect the Disability Act: President
- Disability perspective missing in ActionAid’s critique of Millennium Development Goals
- Guwahati H. C. directs Nagaland to extend reservation for disabled to include higher posts
- Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
- Disability cultural festival scheduled to mark World Disability Day has no sponsor!
- Technical snag grips low-floor disabled-friendly buses
- Europe’s leading low fares airline announces policy change on vision impaired passengers
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
- Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
- Chennai to host conference on Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: