Volume 3 Issue 24 - December 15, 2005
Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
D.N.I.S. News Network – On the occasion of World Disability Day, National Legal Services Authority (N.A.L.S.A.) organised a Seminar on Rights of Persons with Disability to mark National Legal Aid Week for Persons with Disabilities from 3 to 9 December 2005.
Chief Justice of Delhi High Court Justice Markandeya Katju, who was the Chief Guest, said that as the head of the judiciary in the National Capital, he would make all efforts to ensure that justice is done in matters relating to rights of disabled people and told the members of the legal fraternity present at the gathering that the scope of disability law must be broadened so that the basic rights of disabled people can be protected.
Justice Mukul Mudgal, Judge, Delhi High Court and N.A.L.S.A. member, said that effective disability laws could be useful in making disabled people a part of the mainstream so that they can live their lives with dignity and equality.
Justice Madan B. Lokur mooted the idea of extending free legal aid to disabled people to address complaints and cases of denial of rights to this section of society. He stressed that there was an urgent need for creating greater awareness among disabled people, along with greater social recognition of their contributions.
In a special address, Disabled Rights Group Convenor and Executive Director of National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People Javed Abidi recounted his pioneering efforts to get rights of disabled people, as mandated in the Disability Act, by filing Public Interest Litigations. He used this address to raise the issue of greater employment opportunity for disabled people in the private sector.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Delegation of disability leaders calls on President of India on World Disability Day
- A law with no one to implement has been the tragedy of the India's disability sector: Abidi
- Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
- H.R.D. Ministry to be nodal agency for implementation of Inclusive Education policy
- Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
- More and more disabled students enrolling in open schools: National Institute of Open Schooling
- Madras H.C. directs C.M.T.C. not to buy new buses without ensuring their accessibility
- Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
- Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
- Two-day career development forum held for promoting inclusive employment opportunities
- Access audit by D.L.U. South belies claims of disabled-friendly railway stations
- Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation to construct accessible traffic crossings
- Eye Hospital by Rahul Gandhi to address high incidence of curable blindness in Uttar Pradesh
- Thai disability rights protestors clash with police on World Disability Day
- Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: