Volume 3 Issue 24 - December 15, 2005
Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
D.N.I.S. News Network – Focusing on the single most important demand of the disability sector in the tenth year of the Disability Act, President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam has asked State Governments to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure the implementation of three per cent reservation in Government jobs.
Elucidating on the idea, he said that the Special Commissioners could be placed under the overall supervision of a Coordinator in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The President made the statement while addressing a gathering at the presentation ceremony of the National Awards for the Welfare of Persons with Disabilities on World Disability Day, 3 December 2005. Kalam said the officer could be designated Project Director and made a full time Commissioner, and would be responsible for filling up the reserved jobs.
He also called upon corporate groups and social institutions to participate in sponsoring cochlear implants, and promised that the Government on its part would provide 150 per cent weighted deduction of such contribution for the purposes of computing income tax.
Sharing with the audience and press persons the ongoing efforts to develop technologies to enhance capabilities of disabled people, Kalam informed that the government was working towards providing a cost effective speech interface through the indigenously developed, hand held Personal Computer for visually impaired people.
Congratulating the award winners, he said it was very important to recognise outstanding employees, employers, placement officers, individuals, institutions and creative disabled persons.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delegation of disability leaders calls on President of India on World Disability Day
- A law with no one to implement has been the tragedy of the India's disability sector: Abidi
- Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
- H.R.D. Ministry to be nodal agency for implementation of Inclusive Education policy
- Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
- More and more disabled students enrolling in open schools: National Institute of Open Schooling
- Madras H.C. directs C.M.T.C. not to buy new buses without ensuring their accessibility
- Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
- Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
- Two-day career development forum held for promoting inclusive employment opportunities
- Access audit by D.L.U. South belies claims of disabled-friendly railway stations
- Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation to construct accessible traffic crossings
- Eye Hospital by Rahul Gandhi to address high incidence of curable blindness in Uttar Pradesh
- Thai disability rights protestors clash with police on World Disability Day
- Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: