Volume 3 Issue 24 - December 15, 2005
Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
D.N.I.S. News Network – A National Action Plan for Inclusive Education of Children and Youth with Disability is in its finalisation stage and would be made operational by the next academic year, Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh said on the eve of World Disability Day at an award ceremony in the National Capital.
The minister said the process of consultations with experts, N.G.O.s, disability rights groups and other stakeholders on the action plan was nearing completion. It would be introduced ''most likely from the next academic year'', he later informed. Currently, the educational needs of children with disabilities are covered either in special schools or integrated mainstream schools.
While presenting the 'Plan of Action for Inclusive Education of Children and Youth with Disabilities' in the Rajya Sabha on 21 March last, the minister had pointed out that non-specialist schools could be adapted to work with children with disabilities as per the trend worldwide. With the action plan, the Centre expects greater progress in its 'Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan'. It could also help prioritise implementation of three per cent reservation in all institutions receiving funds from the Government for persons with disabilities as provided for by the Persons with Disabilities Act 1995, the minister said.
According to disability rights activists, literacy level among the disabled population is only 49 per cent as against 65 per cent for others. An estimated six to seven per cent of India's population has one or the other form of disability, they say. Singh gave away the seventh N.C.P.E.D.P.-Shell Helen Keller awards to six individuals and four organisations which have contributed positively to the cause of employment for disabled people.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delegation of disability leaders calls on President of India on World Disability Day
- A law with no one to implement has been the tragedy of the India's disability sector: Abidi
- Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
- H.R.D. Ministry to be nodal agency for implementation of Inclusive Education policy
- Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
- More and more disabled students enrolling in open schools: National Institute of Open Schooling
- Madras H.C. directs C.M.T.C. not to buy new buses without ensuring their accessibility
- Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
- Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
- Two-day career development forum held for promoting inclusive employment opportunities
- Access audit by D.L.U. South belies claims of disabled-friendly railway stations
- Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation to construct accessible traffic crossings
- Eye Hospital by Rahul Gandhi to address high incidence of curable blindness in Uttar Pradesh
- Thai disability rights protestors clash with police on World Disability Day
- Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: