Volume 3 Issue 24 - December 15, 2005
Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
D.N.I.S News Network – To highlight the apathy of the Government towards implementation of the provisions of the Disability Act 1995, a protest rally was held in the National Capital by the National Federation of the Blind (N.F.B.) on World Disability Day.
The specific focus of the protest was to press for filling up of backlog in seats reserved for disabled people. The rally began from Jantar Mantar in Delhi and marched towards Vigyan Bhawan, where an official function was being held. The protestors were stalled by police, who arrested some of them and released them soon after.
In a press release, the N.F.B. said that the protest was held to press for early action on a 12-point charter of demands, including amendments to the Persons with Disabilities Act 1995, and extension of reservation for persons with disabilities in general and the blind in particular to the private sector.
“We have been asking for strict implementation of Section 33 of Persons with Disabilities Act 1995 in the Railways in the matter of one per cent reservation in all types of jobs since Railways have totally neglected the blind in the implementation of one per cent reservation,” said S.K. Rungta, General Secretary of the Federation, in the release. On the same day, the Rashtriya Viklang Party also held a demonstration at the Jantar Mantar seeking 10 per cent job reservation for the disabled, among other demands.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Delegation of disability leaders calls on President of India on World Disability Day
- A law with no one to implement has been the tragedy of the India's disability sector: Abidi
- Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
- H.R.D. Ministry to be nodal agency for implementation of Inclusive Education policy
- Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
- More and more disabled students enrolling in open schools: National Institute of Open Schooling
- Madras H.C. directs C.M.T.C. not to buy new buses without ensuring their accessibility
- Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
- Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
- Two-day career development forum held for promoting inclusive employment opportunities
- Access audit by D.L.U. South belies claims of disabled-friendly railway stations
- Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation to construct accessible traffic crossings
- Eye Hospital by Rahul Gandhi to address high incidence of curable blindness in Uttar Pradesh
- Thai disability rights protestors clash with police on World Disability Day
- Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: