Volume 3 Issue 3 - February 01, 2005
Mumbai Marathon turns inclusiveDNIS News Network – Learning from previous mistakes, the organisers of the Mumbai Marathon made special arrrangements for persons with disabilities this year.
After drawing the ire of activists and a boycott by the Spastics Society of India last year for banning persons in wheelchairs, organisers of the Mumbai Marathon laid out the red carpet for disabled persons this year.
For the first time, 26 wheelchair users participated in the Mumbai Marathon on a 3.4 km stretch that was specially designed for them. The run started at 8 a.m. from opposite the Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus.
Though marathons organised in London, Boston and New York have disabled participants on wheelchairs, the Mumbai Marathon had left out the disabled last year. But the organisers decided to include them this time around after organisations like ADAPT, Disabled Rights Group, Mumbai (DRG) and NASEOH approached them. Advocate Preeti Shah, legal counsel, Able Disabled All People Together (ADAPT) said, “Most international marathons make arrangements for, and encourage, people with disabilities.”
“Last year, no arrangements were made for people in wheelchairs since the marathon happened at the eleventh hour. A special time and an exclusive track were earmarked for them this year,” said Vivek Singh, joint managing director of Procam International, one of the promoters of the marathon.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Prime Minister issues an order to adhere to 3% reservation for disabled persons in the Civil Service
- Disability leaders call on Home Minister demanding unlimited attempts in Civil Services
- Blatant discrimination against disabled scientist by IIT, Delhi
- State-level consultation on Civil Society partnership in post-tsunami rehabilitation
- NCPEDP part of ‘Sarva Siksha Abhiyan’ Executive Committee
- Disability group presents ten-point charter to President
- Mumbai Marathon turns inclusive
- Bollywood stars take up disability issues
- Disabled boy receives National Bravery Award
- Special children to be part of mainstream schools
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: