Volume 7 Issue 3 - February 01, 2010
D.P.O.D. & N.C.P.E.D.P. tie up for a project on implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and Disabled People’s Organisation Denmark (D.P.O.D.) have tied up for a 3 year project titled ‘Improving the rights of persons with disabilities in India - Advocating for the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (U.N.C.R.P.D.)’.
The thrust areas of the project would be implementation of Articles 33 and 31 of U.N.C.R.P.D. Article 33 pertains to setting up of a focal point for monitoring the implementation of the Convention and Article 31 pertains to enumeration of disabled population.
N.C.P.E.D.P. has been continuously lobbying for the focal point to be set up in the Prime Minister’s Office (P.M.O.). This demand was also placed before the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh when a delegation of National Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (N.C.R.P.D.) – India led by Convenor, Javed Abidi, met him on July 25. The P.M.O. is now directly monitoring 22 Ministries.
The project will also support efforts towards ensuring that disability is accurately enumerated in the upcoming Census of 2011. It may be mentioned that disability was included in the last Census of 2001. However, there were reports from across the country that the question was not even asked, that no awareness was created amongst the masses, and that the enumerators were neither trained nor sensitized. As a result, Census of 2001 came up with an inaccurate count of only 2.13 percent disabled people. The count was so low that even the Government was embarrassed. “A serious deficiency in the Census data occurred,” they admitted in the XIth Five Year Plan.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- User interface is a key area that we need to work in, to make this an inclusive world: Shilpi Kapoor
- “Most of the time, extraordinary people who are doing extraordinary things get lost,” Ashutosh
- New Law versus Amendments – North Zone leaders speak up
- Javed Abidi bags lifetime achievement award
- N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Prime Minister and Finance Minister regarding Budget 2010
- Mukul Wasnik continues to be evasive on new law while the sector’s demand gets stronger
- D.P.O.D. & N.C.P.E.D.P. tie up for a project on implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D.
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M. sets up Disability Advisory Group
- Countdown to Techshare 2010 begins
- After Mumbai, Right to Read Campaign reaches Delhi
- Premier B-School on road to being disabled friendly
- North Zone Consultation on New Law
- Drafting Committee on Electronic Access Policy finalises ‘revised draft’
- Nari Niketan Case: National Trust Sub-Committee members visit newborn Pari
- Government simplifies process of obtaining disability certificate
- C.B.S.E. to ensure no disabled child is denied admission
- 2nd National Conference of Indian Sign Language Interpreters to be held shortly
- Civic bodies must be disabled friendly, Yeddyurappa
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: