Volume 7 Issue 3 - February 01, 2010
North Zone Consultation on New Law
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Disability rights activists from across the northern part of the country gathered in New Delhi on January 29 and 30 to discuss and debate whether the country needs a new disability law reflecting the letter and spirit of U.N.C.R.P.D. or patchwork amendments as proposed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. And the voice was clear, strong and united – all for a new law!
The consultation was organised by Action for Abilities Development and Inclusion (A.A.D.I.) and Sarthak, in association with National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), and supported by The British High Commission.
Leaders from Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab and Delhi attended the Consultation. G. Syamala, Executive Director of A.A.D.I. and Dr. Achal Bhagat, Director, Sarthak gave the welcome address. Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P. opened the debate on ‘New Law versus Amendments’ and moderated the discussion.
“Our aim is clear. We want a disability legislation to reflect U.N.C.R.P.D. in both letter and spirit. Whether we get it through 200 plus amendments or a new law is besides the point. However, personally I believe that amending the 1995 Act is to flog a dead horse,” Abidi said emphatically.
“Amendments no doubt will be a faster process than a new law. It is now up to us whether we want half baked rights in a shorter time or get all the rights that we are entitled to, even if we have to wait a little longer,” he added.
The gathering was unanimous in its demand for a new law and the fact that it should have stringent implementation mechanisms.
The Consultation also had sessions on ‘One law versus Four laws’, ‘Definition of Disability’, ‘Legal Capacity’ and ‘Accountability’.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- User interface is a key area that we need to work in, to make this an inclusive world: Shilpi Kapoor
- “Most of the time, extraordinary people who are doing extraordinary things get lost,” Ashutosh
- New Law versus Amendments – North Zone leaders speak up
- Javed Abidi bags lifetime achievement award
- N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Prime Minister and Finance Minister regarding Budget 2010
- Mukul Wasnik continues to be evasive on new law while the sector’s demand gets stronger
- D.P.O.D. & N.C.P.E.D.P. tie up for a project on implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D.
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M. sets up Disability Advisory Group
- Countdown to Techshare 2010 begins
- After Mumbai, Right to Read Campaign reaches Delhi
- Premier B-School on road to being disabled friendly
- North Zone Consultation on New Law
- Drafting Committee on Electronic Access Policy finalises ‘revised draft’
- Nari Niketan Case: National Trust Sub-Committee members visit newborn Pari
- Government simplifies process of obtaining disability certificate
- C.B.S.E. to ensure no disabled child is denied admission
- 2nd National Conference of Indian Sign Language Interpreters to be held shortly
- Civic bodies must be disabled friendly, Yeddyurappa
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: