Volume 9 Issue 3 - April 15, 2012
Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Responding to a writ petition filed in the Supreme Court by Jeeja Ghosh, a person with cerebral palsy who was deplaned from a SpiceJet flight from Kolkata to Goa on February 19, a Bench of Justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Desai has issued notices to the Centre and the Director General of Civil Aviation (D.G.C.A.). The court also issued a notice to SpiceJet, for a direction to the airline to pay her damages for causing her humiliation and agony.
The petition said there have been many instances of violation of the rights of persons with disabilities travelling by air despite clear bindings and directives listed in the Civil Aviation Requirements (C.A.R.) on Carriage by Air of Persons with Disability and/or Persons with Reduced Mobility.
The petition also highlighted that Jeeja Ghosh was discriminated on the basis of her disability which goes against the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.), which India has ratified.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- It is high time for the disability sector to demand for a Disability Rights Budget Statement, Meenakshi Balasubramaniam
- Survey reveals dismal picture of persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
- Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
- Make rights of persons with disabilities justiciable: C.P.I.(M.)
- O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
- After four years, blind woman finally gets U.P.S.C. posting, but in a lower category!
- Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
- Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
- D.U. plans an examination policy for students with multiple disabilities
- Allahabad University takes a step towards being disabled-friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: