Volume 9 Issue 3 - April 15, 2012
Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Pulling up the Railways for its failure to fill up nearly 4,100 vacancies reserved for persons with disabilities, a bench comprising Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw of the Delhi High Court directed them to fill up these posts within six months and imposed a fine of Rs. 25,000 on Railways. The Court also made it clear that no extensions would be given, strongly noting that the Railways have already delayed the process. These posts have not been filled up since 1996, after the Disability Act of 1995 came into form.
The Court also highlighted that disability was no longer a charity issue but is a human rights issue. Therefore, people with disabilities deserve equal opportunity and not sympathy.
The verdict came following the plea filed by the All India Confederation of the Blind in 2005.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- It is high time for the disability sector to demand for a Disability Rights Budget Statement, Meenakshi Balasubramaniam
- Survey reveals dismal picture of persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
- Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
- Make rights of persons with disabilities justiciable: C.P.I.(M.)
- O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
- After four years, blind woman finally gets U.P.S.C. posting, but in a lower category!
- Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
- Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
- D.U. plans an examination policy for students with multiple disabilities
- Allahabad University takes a step towards being disabled-friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: