Volume 6 Issue 4 - August 01, 2009
Disabled Rights Group protest against non - inclusion of disability in Union Budget
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: More than 100 disabled people under the banner of Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) gathered in front of the Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee’s residence to protest against the non - inclusion of disability in the Union Budget on July 24.
But it was soon called off as the Minister promised to meet a delegation that evening.
Javed Abidi, Convenor, D.R.G., said the Union Budget 2009, unveiled earlier this month, was a big letdown for people with disability.
“We were fully confident that in this budget there would be something for people with disability. If you look at the XIth Five Year Plan, a number of promises were made to the sector. But when the budget was presented, there was nothing substantial for us,” said Abidi.
Vandana Bedi, Consultant, Disability and Development, says, “It is very unfortunate that despite the disability sector being proactive and sending suggestions well ahead of time, there was no mention of it in the budget. The irony is that these were not our suggestions but what the government has already promised to us in the XIth Five Year Plan.”
“All that it had for the sector was tokenism,” she added.
A delegation of representatives from across disability met the Finance Minister later in the evening and put forward their grievances. The Minister assured them that he would look into the matter personally.
The delegation also included Arun Rao, Executive Director, The Deaf Way; A.S. Narayanan, Secretary, National Association of the Deaf; C. Mahesh, Advocacy, Co-ordinator, Community Based Rehabilitation Forum; J.P. Gadkari, President, Parivaar; Ketan Kothari from Sightsavers and Muthamma B. Devaya from N.C.P.E.D.P.
Meanwhile, the Finance Minister has raised the limit for tax deductions for severely disabled persons from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1 lakh. He made this announcement on July 27 during a debate on the Finance Bill.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.R.P.D. - India calls on the Prime Minister
- Disabled Rights Group protest against non - inclusion of disability in Union Budget
- Right to Education Bill not all right, say disabled rights activists
- 3rd Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. - India held
- Core Group Meetings held on July 22 & 23
- Disability Act to be amended
- Nominations open for Helen Keller Awards 2009
- Parivaar submits Memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
- Call for disability certificate to be merged with the Unique Identification Number
- Scholarship for students with disability
- Insult on physical disability could be a punishable offence
- Army chooses golf carts over wheelchairs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: