Volume 6 Issue 4 - August 01, 2009
Parivaar submits Memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Parivaar, the parents’ body for intellectually disabled people, has submitted a memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Mukul Wasnik, calling for wider consultations with the disability sector on the proposed amendments to the Disability Act.
It has welcomed the decision to include autism and multiple disabilities in the Act but says that cerebral palsy should also be included in the same category as including them under locomotor disability is not justified.
The memorandum expressed disappointment at the poor implementation of the Act and U.N.C.R.P.D.
“It has been more than 13 years since the Act, but the implementation has been very poor. The Central Co-ordination Committee and the Central Executive Committee were supposed to oversee and monitor the implementation and meet every six months, but never actually did,” says J.P. Gadkari, President, Parivaar, in the memorandum.
The memorandum has called for the two committees at the Central and State level to be revamped, reconstituted and activated. It would bring about quick and smooth implementation of the provisions of the Act, it said.
The memorandum has also demanded better utilisation of funds, grant in aids and setting up of a National Commission on Disability among other things.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- N.C.R.P.D. - India calls on the Prime Minister
- Disabled Rights Group protest against non - inclusion of disability in Union Budget
- Right to Education Bill not all right, say disabled rights activists
- 3rd Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. - India held
- Core Group Meetings held on July 22 & 23
- Disability Act to be amended
- Nominations open for Helen Keller Awards 2009
- Parivaar submits Memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
- Call for disability certificate to be merged with the Unique Identification Number
- Scholarship for students with disability
- Insult on physical disability could be a punishable offence
- Army chooses golf carts over wheelchairs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: