Volume 6 Issue 4 - August 01, 2009
Army chooses golf carts over wheelchairs
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Army has splurged more than Rs. 1 crore on golf carts, money that was actually meant to be spent on motorised wheelchairs and military equipment.
This shocking financial scam came to light after the Comptroller and Auditor General (C.A.G.) submitted a report wherein it said that top generals misused their power to buy golf carts in the guise of mechanised wheelchairs for army hospitals and urgently required military equipment.
In May 2006, the Western Command had ordered five multi - utility vehicles for transporting elderly and disabled patients. Lieutenant General Daljeet Singh (retd.), the then Western Army chief, invoked his special financial powers to sanction Rs. 15.60 lakh for the motorised carts.
The Army Research and Referral Hospital dispatched three carts to the Western Command Hospital in Chandimandir and one each to hospitals in Jammu and Amritsar.
The Chandimandir hospital diverted the three motorised carts to the Shivalik Golf Course in September 2006. Two of these later ended up at golf courses in Ambala and Jalandhar.
After enquiry C.A.G. found that these were actually golf carts. The Defence Ministry insisted that the motorised carts were being used in the hospitals but C.A.G. found documentary evidence which showed that they were actually in the golf course.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- N.C.R.P.D. - India calls on the Prime Minister
- Disabled Rights Group protest against non - inclusion of disability in Union Budget
- Right to Education Bill not all right, say disabled rights activists
- 3rd Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. - India held
- Core Group Meetings held on July 22 & 23
- Disability Act to be amended
- Nominations open for Helen Keller Awards 2009
- Parivaar submits Memorandum to the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment
- Call for disability certificate to be merged with the Unique Identification Number
- Scholarship for students with disability
- Insult on physical disability could be a punishable offence
- Army chooses golf carts over wheelchairs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: