Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Thirty year old Ajit Kumar is from Haryana. Blind since the age of three, Kumar was able to beat all the odds and has qualified for India’s coveted Civil Services. According to his rank, he should be allotted the Indian Administrative Service (I.A.S.). Instead, he has been offered a post in the Indian Railways Personnel Service! “It is not befitting of the rank I had earned in the examination,” says Kumar.
“I have not been allotted I.A.S. only because I do not have full vision,” he explains.
According to the Disability Act of 1995, one percent seats in I.A.S. should be reserved for people with visual impairments. However, the reserved seats are not being filled. In some years, a few seats were given to people with low vision but not to people who are blind.
A confident Kumar says, “I am determined to get into the I.A.S. I have earned it and this is what I deserve. My case is being considered and I hope to receive a notification. If not, I am ready to take the matter to court.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “D.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities,” Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.’s Disability Advisory Group – Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.’s protest against government’s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: