Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
D.R.G.’s protest against government’s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
Protestors at Asha Kiran
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The indifference of the Delhi government in dealing with the deaths at Asha Kiran hit a raw nerve among several rights groups. On February 2, civil rights groups and N.G.O.s. working for persons with disabilities staged a dharna at Jantar Mantar to protest against government’s inaction and shocking lack of concern.
In the last two months, 22 people have died at the observation home for mentally retarded people. Shockingly, nothing was done about it! Despite being directed by the National Human Rights Commission (N.H.R.C.) to look into the deaths, the Delhi government and its social welfare department took no action to improve the condition of inmates.
“We want the Delhi government to act now! Asha Kiran needs to be decongested first of all. After that, urgent attention needs to be given to the hygiene aspects and medical care aspects of all the 700 plus people there. They are human beings for God’s sake and should be treated with respect,” said Javed Abidi, Convenor, Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.).
G. Syamala, Executive Director, Action for Abilities Development and Inclusion (A.A.D.I.), who had visited the home said, “The complex is in a shabby state and inmates are lodged in large dormitories.”
“All 730 inmates are kept in unbelievable conditions. The capacity of the home is only 350! The government should ensure constant monitoring,” added Radhika Alkazi, Managing Trustee, Alternative Strategies for the Handicapped (A.S.T.H.A.).
Realizing the seriousness of the issue, the Delhi government has now formed a committee to probe the deaths at the observation home. A report on the matter is still awaited.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “D.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities,” Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.’s Disability Advisory Group – Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.’s protest against government’s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: