Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Of late, the welfare of disabled people seems to be the primary resolve of M. Karunanidhi, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. He has initiated a special recruitment drive for persons with disabilities and has announced a string of measures to benefit disabled persons.
For starters, all jobs reserved for persons with disability will be filled up; the scheme of unemployment allowance, now implemented only for visually impaired people will be extended to cover all categories of disability; and monthly pension of Rs. 400 that is being given only to physically and visually disabled persons will now also cover speech and hearing impaired persons.
The marriage assistance scheme for disabled people is currently benefiting 400 persons. An additional 1,100 are expected to be covered under the Chief Minister’s plan. 600 disabled people in the government’s list who have been waiting for motor-fitted three wheelers will be given the vehicles this year.
Many more announcements are to be made in the Budget to be presented shortly. Karunanidhi said that his government is ready to set apart not just Rs. 100 crore but even Rs. 1000 crore for disabled people. He repeated that his government would always pay attention to the issues and problems concerning disability.
To ensure that the government schemes are implemented effectively, G. Chidambaranathan, president of Federation of Tamil Nadu Physically Handicapped Association said that the Social Welfare Department should be provided more manpower.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “D.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities,” Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.’s Disability Advisory Group – Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.’s protest against government’s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: