Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A decade earlier, the disability sector had to fight a prolonged battle to get disability included in Census 2001 and had to be content with totally inaccurate results. This time around with a much sensitised and aware person at the helm of affairs, things are looking up.
Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), met the present Census Commissioner of India, Dr. C. Chandramouli on February 1, who assured that his office is open to inputs from the disability sector in order to ensure that disability gets accurately reflected in Census 2011.
Dr. Chandramouli told Abidi that the results they got for the question on disability in the Pre Test for Census 2011 were not satisfactory. He asked N.C.P.E.D.P. to send suggestions on the question and inputs on disability for the instruction manual for enumerators. He also added that time was running out and everything would have to be done before end of March. He assured Abidi that all inputs and suggestions would be put forward to the Technical Committee which finalises both, the questionnaire and the instruction manual.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “D.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities,” Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.’s Disability Advisory Group – Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.’s protest against government’s apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: