Volume 7 Issue 4 - February 15, 2010
N.A.S.S.C.O.M.s Disability Advisory Group Good start but apprehensions persist
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: After more than a year of persistent lobbying, N.A.S.S.C.O.M. finally formed its Disability Advisory Group. The first meeting was held on February 1 in New Delhi, where the objectives of the Group were laid down. It was decided that the three core areas that the Group would work in would be Accessibility including physical and I.C.T. accessibility, Employbility and Assistive Technology.
However, members expressed concerns about the lack of representation in the Group from the corporates. Concerns were also raised about the overlapping roles of the Disability Advisory Group and the Sub - Committee on Disability of N.A.S.S.C.O.M.s Diversity Forum.
The representation of the corporates is necessary for any objectives to be fulfilled, said Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and member of the Group.
Another member, Shanti Raghavan, Founder and Managing Trustee, EnAble India expressed apprehensions on objectives becoming part of Corporate Social Responsibility (C.S.R.) initiatives of member companies.
If disability issues are not part of mainstream N.A.S.S.C.O.M. events, companies do not take them very seriously, Raghavan said.
Som Mittal, President, N.A.S.S.C.O.M., clarified that the role of the Advisory Group would be to provide thought leadership while the Sub - Committee of the Diversity Forum would be the implementing body.
Pradeep Gupta, Chairman, Cyber Media India Ltd. and the Chairer of the Advisory Group laid down the goals for the next 90 days. It was decided to circulate three advisories on disability issues, one on the Access Guidelines prepared by N.C.P.E.D.P. and AccessAbility, second on the issue of Web Access, and third on case studies of previous N.C.P.E.D.P. Shell Helen Keller Award winners among N.A.S.S.C.O.M. member companies.
The next meeting of the Disability Advisory Group will be held in March.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- D.R.F. would like to promote further advocacy work on C.R.P.D. to advance the human rights of persons with disabilities, Szporluk, Deany
- M.S.J.E. considering a new law over amendments, Wasnik tells D.R.G.
- Census Commissioner open to inputs from the disability sector
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M.s Disability Advisory Group Good start but apprehensions persist
- D.R.G.s protest against governments apathy on deaths at Asha Kiran
- Another disabled youth faces I.A.S. roadblock
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister goes all out to empower disabled people
- East Zone Consultation on Disability Act in Guwahati on February 20
- Only 49 scribes for over 200 dyslexic students
- Government takes a re-look at deaf driving, consults health specialists
- Diamond maker to employ 1000 disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: