Volume 9 Issue 4 - May 01, 2012
Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Department of Disability Affairs that was announced in March is likely to become functional soon. Mukul Wasnik, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, stated this in Parliament while answering a query on the issue. He said that the proposal to amend the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, with a view to notify the creation of the Department and to define its business is under consideration.
Sources in the Ministry had earlier confirmed that the issue has been put on fast track and announcement regarding the official opening of the Department is expected to be made any day soon.
It may be mentioned that a persistent advocacy of the last couple of years by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) finally resulted in the announcement of the Department of Disability Affairs made by Her Excellency, the President of India at the opening of the Budget Session of the Parliament this year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “In the absence of comparable information, most of the policy planning for people with disabilities is based on assumptions,” Dr. Sruti Mohapatra
- Nominations for the 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P.-MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 open
- Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
- Amendments to R.T.E. passed by Rajya Sabha; mixed bag for disability sector
- Kanchan Pamnani and Shivani Gupta attends C.R.P.D. Committee meeting in Geneva
- O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
- N.A.C. comes out with Draft Recommendations on the proposed new disability law
- Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Project on dyslexia wins India leg of Microsoft’s Imagine Cup
- 300 man-days likely for persons with disabilities under N.R.E.G.S.
- Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
- No concrete decision on making D.U. disabled-friendly
- Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: