Volume 9 Issue 4 - May 01, 2012
Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Following the harrowing results revealed by a study ‘Profile on Disability in Odisha’ conducted by Swabhiman, Chief Secretary, B. K. Patnaik has directed the Woman and Child Welfare Department of Odisha to identify the problems faced by persons with disabilities in the State. He has asked the Department to formulate 15 action points to bridge critical gaps in successful implementation of the recommended strategies.
At a high-level meeting on this issue on April 24, it was decided to prioritise activities like intensive awareness campaign on facilities and services available for persons with disabilities; training of teachers at primary and secondary level on Sign Language and regular training modules on disability in training programmes of Government officers in different Departments, including Odisha Administrative Service (O.A.S.).
Other issues that were discussed at the meeting were accessibility to public buildings; reservation of hostel seats for students with disabilities in colleges and universities; providing software for students with disabilities in libraries of all Government degree and pre-degree colleges and devising livelihood interventions to enable people with disabilities to earn their livelihood in the mainstream.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “In the absence of comparable information, most of the policy planning for people with disabilities is based on assumptions,” Dr. Sruti Mohapatra
- Nominations for the 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P.-MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 open
- Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
- Amendments to R.T.E. passed by Rajya Sabha; mixed bag for disability sector
- Kanchan Pamnani and Shivani Gupta attends C.R.P.D. Committee meeting in Geneva
- O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
- N.A.C. comes out with Draft Recommendations on the proposed new disability law
- Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Project on dyslexia wins India leg of Microsoft’s Imagine Cup
- 300 man-days likely for persons with disabilities under N.R.E.G.S.
- Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
- No concrete decision on making D.U. disabled-friendly
- Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: