Volume 9 Issue 4 - May 01, 2012
Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Advocating for the need to have clear and standard guidelines for examinations for blind and low vision persons, several organisations, have come out with draft guidelines on conduct of examinations for persons with visual impairment.
These guidelines, to be submitted to the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.), recommends all examination authorities, educational bodies, schools, colleges, universities, competitive exam bodies etc that conducts an exam/test within the geographical limits of India should follow a uniform set of guidelines while conducting examinations for blind and visually impaired persons.
The aim of the guidelines is to provide appropriate reasonable accommodation and opportunity to blind and low vision candidates to effectively participate in the examination process. The onus would be on the authorities to ensure that the examination process is conducive and barrier-free for the candidate.
The guidelines, besides reiterating the definition of ‘blindness’, ‘low vision’ and ‘disability certificate’, lay out general principles with regard to conduct of examinations, use of scribes/readers/lab assistants, mode of taking examination, compensatory time, use of assistive devices, administrative requirements, etc.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “In the absence of comparable information, most of the policy planning for people with disabilities is based on assumptions,” Dr. Sruti Mohapatra
- Nominations for the 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P.-MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 open
- Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
- Amendments to R.T.E. passed by Rajya Sabha; mixed bag for disability sector
- Kanchan Pamnani and Shivani Gupta attends C.R.P.D. Committee meeting in Geneva
- O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
- N.A.C. comes out with Draft Recommendations on the proposed new disability law
- Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Project on dyslexia wins India leg of Microsoft’s Imagine Cup
- 300 man-days likely for persons with disabilities under N.R.E.G.S.
- Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
- No concrete decision on making D.U. disabled-friendly
- Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: