Volume 9 Issue 4 - May 01, 2012
Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Haryana Government has banned the use of the expression 'handicapped' saying it violates and undermines the dignity of persons with disabilities.
An official spokesman said the expression 'handicapped' was against the spirit of the Constitution, the Disability Act of 1995, and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) to which India is a State party.
He said the use of such other expressions as 'differently-abled' would also be discouraged as such an expression harps more on the differentiality dimension whereas there was a need to promote the equality dimension.
Wherever such description is both necessary and relevant, such persons would be described as persons with disabilities or as persons with blindness, persons with speech and hearing impairment or persons with locomotor disability.
He said National Institutes like National Institute for the Visually Handicapped and National Institute for Hearing Handicapped should also be renamed appropriately.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “In the absence of comparable information, most of the policy planning for people with disabilities is based on assumptions,” Dr. Sruti Mohapatra
- Nominations for the 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P.-MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 open
- Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
- Amendments to R.T.E. passed by Rajya Sabha; mixed bag for disability sector
- Kanchan Pamnani and Shivani Gupta attends C.R.P.D. Committee meeting in Geneva
- O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
- N.A.C. comes out with Draft Recommendations on the proposed new disability law
- Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Project on dyslexia wins India leg of Microsoft’s Imagine Cup
- 300 man-days likely for persons with disabilities under N.R.E.G.S.
- Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
- No concrete decision on making D.U. disabled-friendly
- Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: