Volume 9 Issue 4 - May 01, 2012
O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The date for India’s second cycle of Universal Periodic Review (U.P.R.) has been set for May 24. The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (O.H.C.H.R.) has released India’s National Report along with the Summary of the Stakeholders’ Information. In the latter, which is compiled by O.H.C.H.R., the submission made by National Disability Network (N.D.N.) finds mention under the category of persons with disabilities. This is the first time that the disability sector in India has made a submission for U.P.R.
U.P.R. is a unique mechanism where the human rights performance of any State which is a member of the United Nations (U.N.) is reviewed by its peers every 4 years irrespective of whether that nation has ratified any human rights treaty or not.
However, disability does not find any significant mention in the Summary of Stakeholders’ Information, besides a few lines under the category of persons with disabilities, in the entire report. This goes on to show how low disability is in the priorities of even the international community, especially the U.N.
Shivani Gupta, noted disabled activist and accessibility expert, was nominated by N.D.N. last month to meet various Country Missions in Geneva to motivate them to ask the Indian delegation questions on disability. She has received fairly good responses so far. It is hoped that India’s dismal performance on disability issues will get highlighted at the U.P.R.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “In the absence of comparable information, most of the policy planning for people with disabilities is based on assumptions,” Dr. Sruti Mohapatra
- Nominations for the 3rd N.C.P.E.D.P.-MphasiS Universal Design Awards 2012 open
- Department of Disability Affairs likely to become functional soon
- Amendments to R.T.E. passed by Rajya Sabha; mixed bag for disability sector
- Kanchan Pamnani and Shivani Gupta attends C.R.P.D. Committee meeting in Geneva
- O.H.C.H.R.’s compilation on India’s U.P.R. mentions N.D.N.’s submission
- N.A.C. comes out with Draft Recommendations on the proposed new disability law
- Women and Child Welfare Department to formulate action points for persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Project on dyslexia wins India leg of Microsoft’s Imagine Cup
- 300 man-days likely for persons with disabilities under N.R.E.G.S.
- Draft guidelines for examination writing by blind and low vision persons to be submitted to M.S.J.E.
- No concrete decision on making D.U. disabled-friendly
- Haryana bans use of the word 'handicapped'
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: