Volume 4 Issue 5 - March 01, 2006
Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network- Disability sector’s recommendations for the Union Budget 2006-2007 were conveniently brushed aside as Finance Minister P. Chidambaram made no mention of any plan aimed at addressing the needs of disabled people in country’s macro planning and resource allocation during his budget speech.
In the 10th year of Disability Act, the Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) was expecting announcement of an incentives policy for corporate sector to promote better employment opportunities for disabled people. Let alone this cardinal demand, not even a mention of disability was made.
According to an estimate, less than one per cent of disabled people are employed. National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) had conducted a study in 1999, which revealed that the average rate of employment in the private sector was only 0.28 per cent and in the multinational companies, it was a mere 0.05 per cent! In a nation-wide survey that was conducted recently, it was found out that 60 per cent of the total Public Limited Companies have not employed a single disabled person. National Sample Survey Organisation figures reveal that the rate of unemployment of disabled people in India is 74 per cent where as that of non-disabled population is only 45 per cent.
In a letter to the Finance Minister, N.C.P.E.D.P. had sought a meeting for a group of senior leaders representing different disabilities. But that did not happen despite several reminders to the Minister’s office.
D.R.G. has expressed its displeasure over the silence on issue of incentives and other demands.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- There is something for everyone in the Railway Budget, says Lalu! But what about disabled people?
- Inclusive education needs funds
- Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
- Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
- M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
- Delhi High Court pulls up Indian Railways for not implementing Disability Act
- Delhi High Court issues notices to private airlines seeking details on disability access
- Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
- Delhi High Court orders Centre & D.D.A. to notify scheme for land & plots at concessional rates
- Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
- Learn from the past and move ahead to implement the Disability Act more effectively: Justice Verma
- North Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: