Volume 4 Issue 5 - March 01, 2006
Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
D.N.I.S. News Network- When Minister for Railways Lalu Prasad Yadav took stage in Lok Sabha on the morning of 24 February; a silent majority of 70 million disabled people was brimming with hope of welcoming Independent India’s first disabled-friendly Rail Budget. But in a matter of just over two hours their hopes were dashed.
The Railway Budget 2006-2007 has failed utterly and comprehensively to even take note of the demands highlighted by disabled people and their organisations, let alone meet them. The past two weeks before the budget, particularly the last 24-hours, have been nothing short of a rollercoaster ride for the disability sector.
A classic test of advocacy and determination by the Disabled Rights Group (D.RG.) saw their voices reach to the ears of the Minister.
The major demands of the sector ranging from implementation of three per cent reservation for disabled people to making the infrastructure and services accessible have gone unheeded. This despite not one, but two meetings between the Minister of Railways and the representatives of India’s disability sector.
It is important to note that both the meetings with Lalu Prasad Yadav - on 7 and 23 February - took place in the backdrop of a gritty protest right outside the official residence of the Minister at 25 Tuglak Road.
Especially on 23rd February - the eve of the Rail Budget - when D.R.G. Convener Javed Abidi led a delegation to the office of the Railway Minister, over two hundred activists stood guard waiting and hoping for positive news. Incidentally, the meeting did see the Minister hinting that there was indeed something for the sector to look forward to in the Railway Budget and this gave them confidence.
D.R.G. has issued a press release expressing deep anguish over this betrayal.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- There is something for everyone in the Railway Budget, says Lalu! But what about disabled people?
- Inclusive education needs funds
- Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
- Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
- M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
- Delhi High Court pulls up Indian Railways for not implementing Disability Act
- Delhi High Court issues notices to private airlines seeking details on disability access
- Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
- Delhi High Court orders Centre & D.D.A. to notify scheme for land & plots at concessional rates
- Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
- Learn from the past and move ahead to implement the Disability Act more effectively: Justice Verma
- North Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: