Volume 8 Issue 5 - March 01, 2011
People with hearing impairment can also drive: Delhi High CourtD.N.I.S. News Network, India: In a landmark judgment, the Delhi High Court said that people with hearing impairment can also drive. A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra said: ““Even if an applicant is totally deaf, he has to be called for a test. Even if he applies for a learner’s licence without a medical certificate and clears the test, he should be granted a learner’s licence”.
According to the National Association of Deaf (N.A.D.), India has more than five crore people with hearing impairment. The archaic Motor Vehicles Act prohibits deaf persons from obtaining a driving licence, saying they could be “a source of danger to the public”. However, the High Court said if persons with hearing impairment meet the necessary criteria and pass the driving test, they will have to be given driving licences and allowed to drive.
The order comes in a two-year-old Public Interest Litigation filed by N.A.D.
It is a sad commentary on the state of disability rights in India that for such a basic right, deaf people had to ultimately approach the Court after Government refused to listen to their repeated pleas.
Till now, in India, deaf people were presumed to be incapable of driving! They were debarred from even sitting for a test. This acute discrimination inspite of the fact that deaf people are allowed to drive practically all over the world and not just in U.S.A. or Europe, but our neighbouring Sri Lanka and nearby Thailand and Malaysia!
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The greatest roadblock employers face is finding qualified candidates with disabilities,” Debra Perry
- Union Budget made no special mention of disability!
- Rail Budget offers special concessions for disabled people
- ‘Govt should withdraw 5% service tax levied on healthcare’
- Consultations or sham? Committee drafting new disability law makes a mockery of the process
- Mixed reports on Census 2011, apprehensions rife on disability being undercounted
- Abidi invited to a prestigious Seminar in Oslo
- M.S.J.E. doesn’t consider disabled doctors fit for teaching jobs
- People with hearing impairment can also drive: Delhi High Court
- Germany’s Finance Minister, a wheelchair user, is an inspiration for many!
- Karnataka cricket body indifferent towards disabled spectators
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: