Volume 9 Issue 5 - May 15, 2012
D.P.I. launches Global Women & Youth NetworkD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Disabled People’s International, the world’s only cross-disability global organisation of people with disabilities with membership in around 140 countries, has launched a Global Women’s Network and a Global Youth Network to focus on issues that women and youth with disabilities face and to groom leaders to contribute to the global disability movement.
Under the Global Women Network, there are two aspects: ‘Established Leaders’ and ‘Emerging Young Leader’. The Global Women Network is being headed by Rachel Kachaje, Vice-Chairperson of D.P.I. Abia Akram, a young leader from Pakistan, has been appointed as the Global Coordinator of the Emerging Young Women Leader Network. Ganesh Singh of Guyana has been appointed as the Coordinator of the Global Youth Network.
Launching the Networks, Javed Abidi, Chairperson of D.P.I. said, “Youth are our future. We have to encourage them; bring them forward, to the forefront. They must be associated in all aspects of D.P.I.'s work. And when we talk of youth with disabilities, we cannot leave our young women with disabilities behind. They must be at the forefront too, shoulder to shoulder. This is the Mission that Ganesh and Abia will take forward.”
Both these Networks will have a global reach across the 5 Regions that D.P.I. currently has offices in: Asia-Pacific, Africa, Europe, Latin America and North America & Caribbean.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- “Sexual and reproductive rights of women with disabilities is a marginal issue on the agenda of disability rights organisations,” Geetanjali Misra
- Sibal delivers another blow to children with disabilities, sector to blame?
- D.P.I. launches Global Women & Youth Network
- McGill University hosts conference on ‘Disability and Work: Global Strategies for Equity’
- Selection of new R.C.I. Chairperson mired in confusion and controversy
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day celebrated in Mumbai
- Delhi High Court orders Mother’s International school to admit deaf child
- Karnataka H.C. orders State to follow M.C.I. guidelines for post graduate courses
- High Court relaxes norms for persons with disabilities for C.A. examination
- Persons with disabilities to be able to book railway tickets online soon
- Chennai metro rail makes a good start in being accessible, can do a lot more
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: