Volume 9 Issue 5 - May 15, 2012
Selection of new R.C.I. Chairperson mired in confusion and controversy
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Rehabilitation Council of India (R.C.I.) has been on the lookout for a new Chairperson for over a year now. A search cum selection Committee was constituted last year but nothing much had happened so far. D.N.I.S. has come to know that a meeting of the Committee was held on April 16 and that the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment had shortlisted three candidates. However, the meeting has been mired in controversy.
According to sources, the members of the Committee were not informed prior to deciding the date of the meeting and one member had to miss the meeting because of that. In fact, it has been alleged that one of the shortlisted candidates called up one of the members to lobby for himself. The baffled member was not even aware that a meeting has been called till the phone call.
However, following criticism of its way of functioning, the Committee has finally woken up to the fact that one of its mandate was also to search for suitable candidates. It is believed that a different shortlist of candidates will be considered soon. Hopefully, this time the process will be conducted with the diligence it deserves.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Sexual and reproductive rights of women with disabilities is a marginal issue on the agenda of disability rights organisations,” Geetanjali Misra
- Sibal delivers another blow to children with disabilities, sector to blame?
- D.P.I. launches Global Women & Youth Network
- McGill University hosts conference on ‘Disability and Work: Global Strategies for Equity’
- Selection of new R.C.I. Chairperson mired in confusion and controversy
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day celebrated in Mumbai
- Delhi High Court orders Mother’s International school to admit deaf child
- Karnataka H.C. orders State to follow M.C.I. guidelines for post graduate courses
- High Court relaxes norms for persons with disabilities for C.A. examination
- Persons with disabilities to be able to book railway tickets online soon
- Chennai metro rail makes a good start in being accessible, can do a lot more
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: