Volume 9 Issue 5 - May 15, 2012
Delhi High Court orders Mother’s International school to admit deaf child
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In a judgement that may well pave the way for mainstreaming deaf children, the Delhi High Court has ordered Mother’s International, a reputed school in the capital, to admit a deaf child within two weeks and also asked it to pay Rs. 10,000. The school had earlier denied admission to the child at entry level saying that it did not have special educators and has not handled such children.
The school had denied admission to the child for the 2011-12 session on the ground that his case was considered under the general category and he failed to qualify. Subsequently, when the parents sought a review of the decision, contending that the child’s case was never considered under the ‘disadvantaged’ category, eligible under the Right to Education Act, the school reportedly failed to respond.
The High Court has now given directions for the child to be admitted under the ‘disadvantaged’’ category.
“It’s conduct amounts to frustrating the rightful aspirations of children like the petitioner, who is disabled, being 100 per cent hearing impaired, and whose parents had expressly stated in the admission form that they had sought the admission for their ward in the category of children belonging to the disadvantaged group,” said the Court.
“It (school) cannot be permitted to shirk its responsibility now and seek refuge in the argument that since the academic year in question has passed, the petitioner cannot be granted any relief. The aforesaid stand of the school if accepted, would make a mockery of a well-intentioned beneficial piece of legislation and undo all the good that is intended to be achieved through it,” the Court added.
Therefore, the Court said, the school must give admission to the child in Class I of the current academic session, 2012-13, after completing formalities in two weeks.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “Sexual and reproductive rights of women with disabilities is a marginal issue on the agenda of disability rights organisations,” Geetanjali Misra
- Sibal delivers another blow to children with disabilities, sector to blame?
- D.P.I. launches Global Women & Youth Network
- McGill University hosts conference on ‘Disability and Work: Global Strategies for Equity’
- Selection of new R.C.I. Chairperson mired in confusion and controversy
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day celebrated in Mumbai
- Delhi High Court orders Mother’s International school to admit deaf child
- Karnataka H.C. orders State to follow M.C.I. guidelines for post graduate courses
- High Court relaxes norms for persons with disabilities for C.A. examination
- Persons with disabilities to be able to book railway tickets online soon
- Chennai metro rail makes a good start in being accessible, can do a lot more
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: