Volume 9 Issue 5 - May 15, 2012
Persons with disabilities to be able to book railway tickets online soon
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In response to a Public Interest Litigation (P.I.L.) being heard in the Delhi High Court, the Government proposes to introduce unique identity cards to enable people with disabilities to book railway tickets on the internet and avail concessions. At present persons with disabilities have to go to railway reservation counters physically to book tickets if they want to avail the fare concession given by railways.
This card will contain a unique identity number which can be used by persons with disabilities to avail concessions while booking tickets on the internet. The details of the person with disability will be stored in the Passenger Reservation System (P.R.S.) across the country and can be verified at the time of e-booking.
Under the proposal, the Railway Board will set up offices in Zones and Divisions where people with disabilities can get the card made after producing a medical certificate. The card will be valid for a specific period and thereafter can be renewed after completion of necessary procedural formalities.
The Railways had earlier justified the denial of e-ticketing facility to people with disabilities, saying that the general public could misuse the electronic reservation slip by making false claims of disability. The proposed system will have provisions to verify false declaration of disability. The card can be suspended if the details provided are not genuine and/or as per prescribed norms.
This system will be implemented as a pilot project in certain States for a period of one year. A review will be undertaken after six months to assess the performance and make modifications, if necessary.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Sexual and reproductive rights of women with disabilities is a marginal issue on the agenda of disability rights organisations,” Geetanjali Misra
- Sibal delivers another blow to children with disabilities, sector to blame?
- D.P.I. launches Global Women & Youth Network
- McGill University hosts conference on ‘Disability and Work: Global Strategies for Equity’
- Selection of new R.C.I. Chairperson mired in confusion and controversy
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day celebrated in Mumbai
- Delhi High Court orders Mother’s International school to admit deaf child
- Karnataka H.C. orders State to follow M.C.I. guidelines for post graduate courses
- High Court relaxes norms for persons with disabilities for C.A. examination
- Persons with disabilities to be able to book railway tickets online soon
- Chennai metro rail makes a good start in being accessible, can do a lot more
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: