Volume 1 Issue 6 - November 15, 2003
BT tops Europe's equal opportunities' employer listDisability News Network - If British Telecom (BT) is a blue-eyed baby of the European disability sector, then there are reasons enough to spell out why the corporate has made its mark as an equal opportunities employer.
Recently, Employers' Forum on Disability, in its annual corporate award ceremony 'Global Inclusion Benchmark', aimed at setting standards on disability as business priority, chose BT as a company truly committed to disabled people.
Employers' Forum on Disability is an authoritative voice on disability as it affects business. Its members represent over 380 major organisations employing more than over 20 per cent of the UK's workforce.
The other corporate awardees were Centrica, The Co-operative Bank, Abbey National, CIS Co-operative Insurance, BAA, Kingfisher, Aviva, Novo Nordisk and Barclays.
Employers' Forum on Disability's 'Global Inclusion Benchmark' identified 10 key areas where companies should report on disability within their social reports. It is understood that 68 social reports of various companies were analysed with quality assurance by research firm Account Ability.
The awards, based on a survey, found that disability was moving up the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) agenda of European companies.
The survey found that 33 per cent of European companies demonstrated real commitment to disabled people in their social reports as against 20 per cent last year. It was also found that 66 per cent included disability in their equal opportunities or diversity policy.
Another positive finding was that 59 per cent of the respondent companies reported on programmes to improve recruitment, retention and career development prospects for disabled people.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- GOI refuses to recognise merit
- Disabled scholars angry with DU
- India ratifies UN Convention
- A very special cricket tournament
- NGO-watch policy on the anvil
- NIMH gives hope to mentally disabled
- Education Bill lacks focus on disability
- BT tops Europe's equal opportunities' employer list
- Impairment is not a barrier
- Chomsky to speak at World Social Forum
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: