Volume 1 Issue 6 - November 15, 2003
GOI refuses to recognise meritDNIS News Network - The idea of any law or policy is to empower marginalised people. But this is a curious case of disabled persons being pushed downwards on account of so-called reservation.
It was at an everyday lecture at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, that Javed Abidi, Executive Director of National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), came across an unusual case. Two disabled young men, Rigzin Sampheal and Lokesh had qualified the Civil Service exams entirely on their own merit and should have been placed in the Indian Administrative Service (IAS).
Instead, they had been given the Indian Information Service (IIS) because the Government of India (GOI) feels that people with disabilities cannot, or rather should not, be allowed to become IAS officers.
It was in 1977 that the GOI gave 3 per cent reservation in jobs to disabled people, but only in the 'C' and 'D' categories. The Disability Act of 1995 tried to change that and extended the reservation to the 'A' and 'B' categories.
However, out of 26 service categories of Indian Administrative Services, only three services are reserved for disabled candidates. There are no vacancies for visually or hearing impaired candidates even in those categories.
Although the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts examinations every year in a disabled-friendly atmosphere with Braille question papers, it has no jobs to offer to eligible candidates!
In 21st century India, hundreds and thousands of trained, smart and educated disabled people are still being denied employment opportunities that are theirs by right.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- GOI refuses to recognise merit
- Disabled scholars angry with DU
- India ratifies UN Convention
- A very special cricket tournament
- NGO-watch policy on the anvil
- NIMH gives hope to mentally disabled
- Education Bill lacks focus on disability
- BT tops Europe's equal opportunities' employer list
- Impairment is not a barrier
- Chomsky to speak at World Social Forum
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: