Volume 1 Issue 6 - November 15, 2003
NIMH gives hope to mentally disabledDNIS News Network -National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (NIMH) has, for the first time, come out with a list of jobs suitable for mentally disabled people in public sector undertakings, in the 'D' category.
The Disability Act 1995 has clear provisions for a 3 per cent reservation for disabled people in the government and public sectors.
The Act, when implemented, made provisions for a specific list of jobs for disabled people in government and public sector. However, this list categorises disability only under orthopaedic disability, hearing and speech disability and visual impairment. So far there had been no effort to list jobs for mentally disabled people.
With disability activists raising this issue, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is understood to have ordered its arm -- NIMH -- to propose a list of job categories for mentally disabled people.
The job list, meant for public sector undertakings, has 66 types of jobs listed, which include baggage handlers, paste makers, rug cleaners and table boys, to name a few.
The nine-page comprehensive document clarifies how India "is yet to make a breakthrough for vocational training and placement of adult persons with mental retardation" and that there is a need to consolidate a good model for contractual jobs in the public sector.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- GOI refuses to recognise merit
- Disabled scholars angry with DU
- India ratifies UN Convention
- A very special cricket tournament
- NGO-watch policy on the anvil
- NIMH gives hope to mentally disabled
- Education Bill lacks focus on disability
- BT tops Europe's equal opportunities' employer list
- Impairment is not a barrier
- Chomsky to speak at World Social Forum
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: