Volume 4 Issue 6 - March 15, 2006
Posts for disabled people to be identified soon: Manipur Chief Minister
D.N.I.S. News Network- In a promising development for the nascent disability movement in Manipur, which has been witnessing public protest to demand implementation of the Disability Act, Chief Minister O. Ibobi Singh has issued directives to the State administration to identify posts that could be reserved for disabled candidates.
This was stated by the Chief Minister recently in the State Assembly in response to the issue of the non-implementation of the provisions of Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 raised by legislators L. Ibomcha, O. Joy and S. Gopal.
The concerned members asked the Chief Minister to provide information on the implementation of the Act, with specific reference to the identification of posts for disabled people in government departments (under section 32) in grade III and IV posts; and 3 per cent reservation as laid down in section 33.
Referring to a recent notice issued by Union Public Service Commission (U.P.S.C.) on 2 January 2006 clearly laying down the criteria for reservation of seats for disabled candidates, he assured that Manipur Public Service Commission Act would be amended in line with the U.P.S.C. and added that various departments have been instructed to do the needful within the next two months.
Around 200 disabled people from All Manipur Mental Handicapped Welfare Organisation, Mongsangei, Ch. Ibocha Institute of Mentally Retarded, Malom, Ideal blind School, Takyelpat and Motbung had taken out a rally on 1 February 2006 demanding the implementation of the act.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- We will do everything to take care of our disabled citizens: Railway Minister
- National Policy for Persons with Disability released on M.S.J.E. website
- Chhattisgarh becomes the first state to frame a policy for disabled people
- Posts for disabled people to be identified soon: Manipur Chief Minister
- Disability Law Unit – South launches advocacy campaign for disabled friendly elections
- Disability Movement to penetrate in the poorest districts of India
- Master Plan Delhi-2021 in its finalisation phase
- World Bank to award grants to innovative ideas on employment generation for disabled people in Pak
- I.T.C. undertaking initiative for inclusion of disabled people
- India will become second in the world in glaucoma cases by 2020: Study
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: