Volume 6 Issue 6 - September 01, 2009
N.C.P.E.D.P. forms a national level Core Group on Disability Act 2009
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: With a view to broad base the discussion on the proposed amendments to the Disability Act 1995 and to consider the possibility of a new law. N.C.P.E.D.P. is forming a Core Group on “The Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Respect for Dignity, Effective Participation and Inclusive Opportunities) Act, 2009”. The group will have representation from all over the country and across disabilities.
Javed Abidi will be the Convenor of the group which will also have two Joint Convenors. The first meeting of the Core Group will be held in New Delhi on October 29.
This is the third time that the topic of amending the Disability Act 1995 is being hyped since it came into force more than 13 years back. The proposed amendments, however, do not reflect the paradigm shift envisaged in U.N.C.R.P.D. They also fail to endorse the social model of disability and are not written in the rights based framework. The emphasis still remains on the ‘medical model’ and on conceptualizing disability as a disorder.
It is a strong view of the sector that given the paradigm shift the changes are so substantive that it may be useful to write a new law rather than just amend the present one.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- A tribute to Vikas Sharma
- “It is better to repeal the Disability Act and draft a new law,” feels Mukul Wasnik
- N.C.P.E.D.P. forms a national level Core Group on Disability Act 2009
- Parliament building to become disabled friendly
- Department of Information Technology sets up Core Group on draft National Policy on Electronic Access
- B.N. Yugandhar to head N.C.P.E.D.P's Core Group on Rural Development
- Conference of State Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. on September 2 & 3
- Newly launched Rajya Sabha website not W.C.A.G. compliant
- A.T.M.s for visually impaired showcased at X.R.C.V.C.
- Revised pension plan to cover disabled siblings of Government employees
- Southern Railways disallows disabled passengers with general tickets from boarding special coach
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: