Volume 6 Issue 6 - September 01, 2009
Parliament building to become disabled friendly
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Former Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment and present Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar has said that the Parliament building would soon become disabled friendly – something that disability rights activists have been demanding for a long time.
“I have given instructions to the Parliament Secretariat to make the house disabled-friendly and barrier free soon. I have also asked them to purchase things made by disabled people for use in the House,” Kumar said.
The disability sector has welcomed this step. However, a lot more needs to be done to ensure barrier free access in other heritage buildings as well.
It may be mentioned that the Central Government has drawn an action plan to provide a barrier free environment in all major public buildings in the country. Disabled friendly facilities like ramps, toilets, Braille signage, etc. will be provided in the Prime Minister’s Office by September this year. Other central government buildings like Nirman Bhawan, Krishi Bhawan, Udyog Bhawan, Shastri Bhawan, Indira Gandhi Museum and National Archives of India will also have these facilities by the end of this year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- A tribute to Vikas Sharma
- “It is better to repeal the Disability Act and draft a new law,” feels Mukul Wasnik
- N.C.P.E.D.P. forms a national level Core Group on Disability Act 2009
- Parliament building to become disabled friendly
- Department of Information Technology sets up Core Group on draft National Policy on Electronic Access
- B.N. Yugandhar to head N.C.P.E.D.P's Core Group on Rural Development
- Conference of State Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. on September 2 & 3
- Newly launched Rajya Sabha website not W.C.A.G. compliant
- A.T.M.s for visually impaired showcased at X.R.C.V.C.
- Revised pension plan to cover disabled siblings of Government employees
- Southern Railways disallows disabled passengers with general tickets from boarding special coach
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: