Volume 6 Issue 6 - September 01, 2009
Conference of State Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. on September 2 & 3
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The second session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (U.N.C.R.P.D.) will be held on September 2 and 3 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
Besides matters relating to implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D., a high level panel on “Legislative measures to implement the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities” and an interactive dialogue on United Nations System Support for the implementation of the Convention are also on the agenda.
The Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.) was formed to monitor the implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D. It consists of 12 members, one each from Qatar, Jordan, Tunisia, Bangladesh, Chile, Hungary, Kenya, Australia, Spain, Ecuador, Slovenia and China.
Though India was the 7th and the first prominent country to have ratified the Convention, it does not have a representation in the Committee.
Javed Abidi, Secretary General, Disabled Peoples’ International (D.P.I.) - India, who is attending the Conference as an Observer says, “There is no excuse for India not being there in the Committee. It is the utter failure of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment once more to focus on these issues.”
“We have been advocating towards getting India to become a part of the Committee but with no success so far,” he added.
Abidi would also be speaking as a panelist on “The Role of Civil Society and National Human Rights Institutions”, a side event at the Conference.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- A tribute to Vikas Sharma
- “It is better to repeal the Disability Act and draft a new law,” feels Mukul Wasnik
- N.C.P.E.D.P. forms a national level Core Group on Disability Act 2009
- Parliament building to become disabled friendly
- Department of Information Technology sets up Core Group on draft National Policy on Electronic Access
- B.N. Yugandhar to head N.C.P.E.D.P's Core Group on Rural Development
- Conference of State Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. on September 2 & 3
- Newly launched Rajya Sabha website not W.C.A.G. compliant
- A.T.M.s for visually impaired showcased at X.R.C.V.C.
- Revised pension plan to cover disabled siblings of Government employees
- Southern Railways disallows disabled passengers with general tickets from boarding special coach
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: