Volume 6 Issue 6 - September 01, 2009
A.T.M.s for visually impaired showcased at X.R.C.V.C.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Xavier’s Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (X.R.C.V.C.), a support and advocacy unit, in collaboration with 2 of the world’s largest manufacturers of A.T.M.s, Diebold Systems and N.C.R. Corporation unveiled A.T.M. machines designed for visually impaired people in Mumbai.
The machine has voice support and guides to menu items, voice outputs for transactions, personalized headphone jack with voice control features, tactile cues for buttons, large display for users with low vision, Braille enabled function keys and guide labels for other functionalities including card reader, receipt, cash dispenser, depositor, bunch cash presenter for ease in collecting cash.
The A.T.M.s, which are yet to be deployed, have been developed in consultation with banks and X.R.C.V.C.
Sharing his views, Dr. Sam Taraporevala, Director X.R.C.V.C. said, “It is a well known fact that A.T.M.s today have increased the convenience in banking. To make banking simple for disabled people, A.T.M.s will need to scale to meet accessibility standards. The A.T.M. industry, as well as banking industry all over the world, has made accessibility an inherent part of its production and deployment. It is time that the international leading players extend their experience to meet Indian needs.”
The Reserve Bank of India through its circular in April 2009 directed that one - third of all A.T.M.s will have to be accessible to people with disability. This initiative, feels Dr. Taraporevala, will go a long way in making the Indian banking industry disabled friendly.
“We have been getting a lot of feedback from users about the machines that we have installed. We are also in the process of talking to 2 other A.T.M. manufacturers about the design aspect of disabled friendly A.T.M. machines,” he added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- A tribute to Vikas Sharma
- “It is better to repeal the Disability Act and draft a new law,” feels Mukul Wasnik
- N.C.P.E.D.P. forms a national level Core Group on Disability Act 2009
- Parliament building to become disabled friendly
- Department of Information Technology sets up Core Group on draft National Policy on Electronic Access
- B.N. Yugandhar to head N.C.P.E.D.P's Core Group on Rural Development
- Conference of State Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. on September 2 & 3
- Newly launched Rajya Sabha website not W.C.A.G. compliant
- A.T.M.s for visually impaired showcased at X.R.C.V.C.
- Revised pension plan to cover disabled siblings of Government employees
- Southern Railways disallows disabled passengers with general tickets from boarding special coach
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: