Volume 7 Issue 6 - March 15, 2010
Javed Abidi’s workshop leads to setting up of Disability Rights Group - Malaysia
Javed Abidi with Malaysian disability rights leaders
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: It started off with misgivings, apprehensions and a lot of pessimism. But half a day into the workshop for Malaysian disabled rights activists organised by United Nations Development Programme in Kuala Lumpur on March 3 and conducted by Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), the first steps towards a cross disability movement seemed to have been taken.
Abidi started off with the story of his entry into the Indian disability sector and the beginning of the disability rights movement in the early 90s with the formation of the Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) in 1993. He went on to speak about the fight for the Disability Act of 1995 and the need for a cross – disability structure.
Disabled activists present at the workshop were candid in their confession that Malaysia did not have a cross – disability culture. Although an effort was made in 1987 and the Malaysian Confederation of the Disabled (M.C.D.) was set up, it fizzled out soon enough. A few leaders felt that it was due to the lack of leadership.
But Abidi’s talk about national pride and the strength of unity inspired the activists and leaders present agreed to meet on March 6.
In the meeting that happened on that day, eight of them met and a Disability Rights Group - Malaysia has now been formed and an E-discussion group established. It was also decided that the group would meet regularly.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The needs of disabled persons in Malaysia are still seen largely as a welfare function,” Maniam Sinnasamy
- Javed Abidi’s workshop leads to setting up of Disability Rights Group - Malaysia
- One day workshop on preventing corruption and fraud in N.G.O.s
- Chief Minister champions the rights of disabled people
- Braille codes to be developed in tribal languages in the North East
- Visually impaired students can aspire to become doctors – Supreme Court
- High Court steps in to allow dyslexic student to write the Board exams
- Parents to insure themselves to ensure lifelong care for their children
- Concessions for students with learning disabilities
- C.B.S.E. to offer mathematics and science exams in Braille
- 200 severely disabled children in Delhi to be home tutored
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: