Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union BudgetD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Expressing disappointment over no mention of disability in the Union Budget of 2011-12, Javed Abidi, Honorary Director of National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and Convenor of Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.), wrote a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“The Union Budget was a huge disappointment for us, the 70 million disabled citizens of India. Lot of promises made during the XIth Five Year Plan have still not been fulfilled. We were hoping that there would be some mention of such promises, for example the setting up of the National Institute of Universal Design,” said Abidi.
He also objected to the proposed 5% service tax on health care. “If there is one section of the society who will be the most impacted, it would be people with disabilities. Again, it would not require a very long argument to establish that most disabled people have serious health care needs. At most times, those needs are not fulfilled within the existing public health system and therefore, per force, a disabled person has to go to a doctor or a rehab professional at one of those “air conditioned” hospitals or clinics. Sir, I appeal to you to please convince the Hon’ble Finance Minister to NOT levy this extra tax on health care and to please withdraw/drop this proposal from the Union Budget of 2011-2012,” stated Abidi in his letter to the Prime Minister.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: