Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
‘Disability Act should include elderly’D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Estimates from International Longevity Centre (I.L.C.) show that population of elderly people in India is set to increase by over 55% by 2050 and those above 80 will go up by 326% in the same year.
Dr Sharadchandra Gokhale, President of I.L.C., said: “Since the ageing population is on rise and is estimated to increase by many folds, there is a need to understand and address the profound consequences of the ageing population”.
“The Disabilities Act, which is in existence but is hardly implemented, has no reference to the elderly associated disabilities. For the same, the law needs to be amended, the policy and programmes on disabilities need to include age related disabilities in a major way,” Dr Gokhale suggested.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: