Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Government has approved a grant of Rs 5 crore to the Archaeological Survey of India (A.S.I.) to make five of its World Heritage Sites and 25 other ticketed monuments accessible to disabled people.
The monuments for which accessibility has been sanctioned are: Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, Sun Temple at Konark and Jama Masjid Champner-Pavgarh in Gujarat.
Some of the ticketed monuments for which accessibility has been sanctioned are: Charminar, Golconda Fort, Nagarjunakonda, Sun Temple in Gujarat, Laxman Temple in Chhattisgarh and some temples in Bhubaneswar.
The funds released by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) will be used to undertake the works for making access pathways, ramps, accessible toilets, tactile maps, Braille signage, and modifications in ticket counters, etc.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: