Volume 2 Issue 7 - April 01, 2004
Visibility in election manifestosDNIS News Network - India's disabled electorate has, so far, have been shrouded in a veil of invisibility - it is not mentioned in any election manifesto, polling booths are not accessible for them, and poll rhetoric simply ignores them, unaware of their very existence.
However, Disabled Rights Group's (DRG) campaign to make their voice heard has borne some fruit. The leader of the Opposition (Rajya Sabha), Manmohan Singh, has written to Javed Abidi, Convener, DRG and Executive Director, NCPEDP, assuring him that the Congress would "make every effort to reflect your concerns in our future ploy statements".
We reproduce some of Singh's comments:
"Many thanks for your letter... highlighting the problems of disabled persons for inclusion in our Election Manifesto.
"You have raised very legitimate concerns and I do not disagree about the priority attaching to these concerns. However, our Election Manifesto has already been published and we shall make every effort to reflect your concerns in our future policy statements.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disabled persons too want to vote
- Disabled seek political space
- Javed Abidi: Candidate for the differently abled
- President Kalam urged to make voting disabled-friendly
- Visibility in election manifestos
- Blind doctor set to practice medicine
- SC notice to Centre on care of mentally ill
- Disabled passengers' nightmare at domestic airport
- HC orders disability pension for Army man sacked in 1964
- Stress on special education
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: