Volume 3 Issue 7 - April 01, 2005
Legal cell in Orissa to support disabled people
DNIS News Network - Swabhiman to launch Legal Cell in Orissa to give special legal support and advice to disabled people in all 30 districts of the State.
A Legal Cell for disabled people will be launched on 12 April in Orissa. This fulfills a long-felt need of disabled people in the State, who felt that despite the Disability Act of 1995, not enough was being done to safeguard their rights. Persons with disabilities still struggle with employment, education, access and acceptance issues, and this was reflected in the numerous cases of injustice seen across the state. Disabled people, doubly vulnerable due to discrimination, suffered in silence for several years till Swabhiman, an NGO in the State, decided to take the initiative. It will set up a Legal Cell in collaboration with N.C.P.E.D.P., New Delhi , and All Orissa Young Lawyers' Forum, with the support of the British High Commission, New Delhi .
The Cell will target and tackle all cases related to physical, sexual and emotional abuse, barriers to access, inadequate social security, educational and professional discrimination, financial and material exploitation and neglect. The lawyers in the Cell will give advice and counsel, support cases in the court of law, and campaign to strengthen the law and the rights of the disability sector.
Several consultative meetings have already been held and case studies analysed prior to the launch of the Cell.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- Arjun Singh announces plan to make education disabled-friendly by 2020
- IIT Delhi shows its true colours
- GAIL dismisses disabled employees
- U.D.S.P.A. threatens mass agitation
- Advertising gimmick or sheer insensitivity
- Public interest' advertisement on road safety outrages sensitivity
- Towards a disabled-friendly Lucknow
- N.C.P.E.D.P. launches training programme in Mumbai
- Legal cell in Orissa to support disabled people
- Tsunami-affected families to get psychosocial relief
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: