Volume 7 Issue 7 - April 01, 2010
M.S.J.E. to form an ‘Expert Committee’ to study the demand for a new law
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: More than six months down the line since the disability sector placed its demand for a new Disability Act instead of the proposed amendments, the twists and turns in the ongoing drama within the precincts of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) seem to be getting more and more interesting. The latest ‘twist in the tale’ being the report that an ‘Expert Committee’ is now being hurriedly put together to study this demand!
What will be interesting to observe is as to who in the opinion of the Ministry are ‘experts’ on the issue. This decision will determine whether M.S.J.E. is indeed serious about this nation wide demand or whether it is more interested in an eye-wash. If reports are to be believed, M.S.J.E. has only contacted fringe elements of the sector as of now.
Eyebrows are also being raised as to why the Director in charge of the issue of amendments, Nidhi Khare has suddenly been removed. The task is now assigned to Sunil Kumar Pattnaik, another Director in the Ministry.
Meanwhile, the disability sector is getting more and more restless and impatient at the Ministry’s dilly dallying tactics. National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People and Disabled Rights Group are also on the verge of completing their Zonal Consultations.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- "My office is always open, we look forward to inputs from the disability sector", Dr. C. Chandramouli
- If the disabled population is counted correctly there will be no space for the government to deprive us from our rights
- 5th meeting of the National Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (N.C.R.P.D.) held on March 17
- M.S.J.E. to form an ‘Expert Committee’ to study the demand for a new law
- Radical amendments to the National Trust Act proposed
- Urban Development Ministry forms Sub Group to harmonise access guidelines
- Justice A.P. Shah endorses the idea of a National Disabilities Advisor
- M.S.J.E. announces vacancy for the position of C.C.P.D.
- Dates for West and South Zone Consultations finalised
- Supreme Court orders immediate reinstatement of teacher with Cerebral Palsy
- High Court reserves seats for dyslexic students in Delhi University
- Disabled Officer all set to become Major General
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: